Donnerstag, 29. Oktober 2009

Devoted to our tools?

Can we still live without all the development tools? I just saw a developer generating getter methods even if he needed more time customizing them afterwards as without. As I started developing I was glad if had syntax highlighting in the editor. Could we still program that way? Would the code would be so much worse?
And also: sometimes we should remember ourselfs to aks why something happened instead of simply follow the tools. Some weeks ago I changed a method signature (I have to admit without refactoring tool) and did not realize that this methods was overwritten by a subclass. Some days later a tool (UCDetector) detected the leftover method, it seemed to be unused, so I removed it via QuickFix (another tool) .
At the end I found myself with a bug report because of missing functionality.
Now one could demand: I should have used a tool for the refactoring as well!? But then: are we really still need to code at all? (and I know there are people yelling NO right now).
I want to believe: use the tools but use them sagely. I should have asked myself: why is this method not used anymore? What did it do and why not anymore?

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen